Abiding by the principles set forth in its Group Vision, the Group is committed to conducting business in an open and fair manner while paying close attention to feedback from customers and community residents. Acting as a member of the local community, the Group proactively collaborates within its sphere and with civil groups as part of its efforts to contribute to community development and environmental conservation.
The Group's railway services are deeply rooted in towns and cities throughout Japan, while its hotels collaborate with local communities to attract tourists and its real estate development business brings regional investment. From that basis, the Group works together with municipalities situated along its railway lines to stimulate regional development. At the same time, the Group tailors its services to address the needs of local populations, which are aging at a rapid rate, by making its services more convenient for the elderly and applying universal design to improve accessibility.
Initiatives implemented by the Group companies
Invigoration of railroad corridor and local communities
Attracting tourists to stimulate local economies
The Group companies initiate campaigns to attract tourists and provide regional tourism information in collaboration with various municipalities in an effort to stimulate the economies of the communities they serve. Recognizing that train stations are often the first place that tourists visit, Seibu Railway has been refurbishing its stations to help give these communities a fresh new look. The company also made it more comfortable and faster to travel with a new limited-express train model called the Laview, which began operating on the Seibu-Ikebukuro Line in March 2019.
- Developing tourist trails in the Hakone area and in Shiga Prefecture areas in collaboration with organizations and other companies' locations to attract inbound tourists
- Operating trains allowing travelers to take bicycles on trains
- Seibu Railway Renovated Hanno Station with a Scandinavian motif to match the local, recently opened Nordic theme park and to promote the area as a tourist destination
- Seibu Railway Began the new Laview commuter express service on the Seibu Ikebukuro Line to provide more convenient and faster travel
- Operating "Seibu Travelling Restaurant fifty two seats of happiness" along scenic routes between Tokyo and Saitama Prefecture
Building stronger ties with local communities
The Group companies make extra efforts to build stronger ties with their surrounding communities. For example, Seibu Railway and Seibu Lions both work to bring dynamism to local areas through their participation in assemblies and conferences as well as collaboration with relevant organizations. Likewise, Prince Hotels supports local producers of food, beverages, and handicrafts by selling their goods at its hotels.
- Seibu Railway Active in an association of municipalities served by Seibu railway lines that organizes events and jointly promotes projects covering a wide range of initiatives, including tourism, culture, education, industry, and environmental conservation
- Seibu Railway Held a festive farmers' market event at Shakujii-koen Station in Tokyo to promote locally grown produce and food products
- Prince Hotels Promoting local producers by selling their goods at hotels, including popular resort areas such as Karuizawa and Manza area
- Seibu Lions Concluded an agreement with several cities in Saitama Prefecture to promote community development and social welfare through collaborative projects
- Seibu Construction Preferentially selecting local subcontractors and using locally produced building materials
- Seibu Landscape Promoting community involvement in park management through volunteer and other activities, and organizing local events at parks under management
Ensuring full access to transportation
The Group companies, including Seibu Bus and Izuhakone Railway Group, offer community bus services and cooperate with ride sharing programs to ensure that everyone in rural communities has access to public transportation.
- Seibu Bus Operating community bus services consigned by municipalities along railway lines
- Izuhakone Railway Group Providing commuter taxi services and shared taxi services that can be reserved in collaboration with cities and towns served by railway lines
- Seibu Properties Inviting car- and bicycle-sharing businesses to operate from parking lots on some properties
Improving accessibility through universal design
Making facilities barrier-free
The Group companies have been applying universal design principles with the goal of making its buildings and facilities fully accessible to everyone, including people with physical disabilities.
- Seibu Railway Tactile walking surfaces(yellow blocks) installed on platforms for more than 3,000 passengers, increasing the number of applicable stations to ensure safety of all passengers
- Seibu Railway Operating a system for people in wheelchairs to contact staff via an app and request assistance at stations
- Seibu Railway Introduced new measures to make trains more accessible, such as designating zones for baby strollers and wheelchairs in new 40000-series commuter trains and installing fully accessible toilets in new Laview model commuter express trains
- Seibu Bus, Izuhakone Railway Group, Ohmi Taxi Added to fleets fully accessible buses and universal design (UD) taxis
- Prince Hotels, Hawaii Business Renovated hotels with fully accessible guestrooms and other features for people with disabilities. (Click here for information on the Prince Hotels website)
- Seibu Landscape Provided all employees with training on basic sign language and procedures for assisting the disabled in parks under management
Improving services for international tourists
As an operator of transportation services and hotels, the Group works tirelessly to assist tourists visiting Japan, which have been growing rapidly in recent years.
- Expanded multilingual websites
- Provided pamphlets and tour guide information in multiple languages
- Adopted an original tax exemption system for international tourists
- Offering Wi-Fi services for tourists
- Seibu Railway Operating tourist information centers in Tokyo's Ikebukuro and Shinjuku districts to provide over-the-counter guidance to tourists from overseas
- Seibu Railway and Seibu Properties Using a multilingual video interpretation service at all train stations as well as the Karuizawa Prince Shopping Plaza and PePe department stores in the Shinjuku, Hon-Kawagoe, Shin-Yokohama, and Hanno stations. (Click here for the Seibu Railway news release)
Aging population and low birthrate
Helping parents care for children
With the number of children in Japan on the decline, the Group makes conscientious efforts to support childrearing. In communities served by its train lines, nursery school services are offered by Seibu Railway, Seibu Properties, and Ohmi Railway. The Group also makes it easier to travel with children by equipping trains with stroller zones.
- Seibu Railway, Seibu Properties Operating the Nicot brand of nursery schools in train station buildings to provide convenient access to childcare services
- Ohmi Railway Operating a nursery school near Hikone Station
- Seibu Properties Acquired certification from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government for the condominiums in a newly constructed multipurpose building near Higashi-Nagasaki Station on the Seibu Ikebukuro Line as a residential building that supports childrearing
- Seibu Railway Designated zones for baby strollers and wheelchairs in 40000-series commuter trains, and installed multipurpose toilets fitted with a baby chair and changing table in new Laview model commuter express trains to assist passengers with infants and small children
- Seibu Hire Offering a 24-hour taxi service for pregnant women and mothers with small children
- Izuhakone Taxi Group Providing a specially designated taxi service for pregnant women
- Ohmi Taxi Providing a child-friendly taxi service for parents with young children
Offering learning opportunities for kids and their parents
The Group has been providing children with practical and hands-on learning opportunities, such as family sports days and occupational role playing events, through the Group Children's Support Project. The project was established for the purpose of providing valuable experiences to children and memorable times for families, and will be actively promoted in the future.
- Providing year-round outings for children to experience various occupations through role playing at Seibu Group companies
- Prince Hotels Offering free ski lift passes to pre-school age children at ski slopes
- Seibu Lions Established a children's fund (using revenues from selling charity goods) to donate to youth baseball leagues and teams
- Seibu Lions Dispatching the team's mascot, Leo the Lion, to nursery schools and kindergartens
- Seibu Lions Offering original Seibu Lions baseball caps as gifts to children attending elementary school in Saitama Prefecture
Giving baseballs specially made for children to childcare centers in Saitama Prefecture, using a portion of revenues from official baseball card sales
- Yokohama Hakkeijima Holding classes for children at the Sea Paradise park to educate them about marine ecosystems and environmental issues
- Seibu Landscape Providing job experience opportunities and extracurricular classes in collaboration with schools near parks under management
Offering support for senior citizens
The Group has established a project for helping senior citizens live happier and more active lives. A wide range of activities are being offered through the project.
- Seibu Railway, Izuhakone Railway, and Ohmi Railway Organizing walking and hiking events for senior citizens in areas served by railway lines
- Prince Hotels Promoting holiday plans tailored to senior citizens, including trips for couples and three-generation family golf trips
- Seibu Railway Offering healthcare courses at Big Box Higashi-Yamato and Eminowa recreational facilities
- Seibu Railway Operating fitness clubs near train stations (Takadanobaba, Saginomiya, Higashikurume, and Tokorozawa stations)
- Seibu Lions Organizing recreational games for senior citizens
- Seibu Bus, Seibu Hire, and Ohmi Railway Offering discounted bus and taxi fares to senior citizens who give up their driver's license